What Happens at the Academy
KEYNOTES and WORKSHOPS
Keynotes & workshops
Each day of the Academy is different; we place a special emphasis on designing an engaging learning experience that is both inspiring and action-oriented. We do this through a combination of keynotes, breakouts, roundtables, workshops, venture-pitches, idea-pitches, concerts.
Academy is led by a group of 25+ practitioners who embody the principles of redemptive entrepreneurship. We think it's important for our Faculty to transcend the stage and have lots of more personal engagement, so we create multiple opportunities throughout the week for that. One highlight: Participants have personal access to small-group conversations with the Academy Faculty during Roundtables, where they are encouraged to ask tough, off-the-record questions.
See examples of previous Faculty here.
Connection & collaboration
We create intentional opportunities to build a life-long peer community through:
- Peer Roundtables: curated sessions centered on a common interest--be it a problem you're passionate about solving, a field of study, or a city you're moving to after graduation
- Idea Pitch Night: where anyone can share their idea (even if it's in the beginning stages!) and ask for feedback or recruit potential co-founders
- Interactive Workshops: whether you're already working on an idea, or discerning your career path, these sessions are intentionally designed for you to lean on others for insight
- Unstructured Time: we think some of the best ideas and connections happen when people are just hanging out--whether it be enjoying a concert (last year Propaganda and The Brilliance came), eating some of SoCal's best tacos, or perfectly toasting s'mores at the fire-pit
Learn more about the Peer Community and what we look for here.
PAST SESSIONS & WORKSHOPS
Culture Making: Reading and responding to the world around us
Becoming a Creative Minority: Influencing culture through creative particiaption
An Alternative Imagination: How the Gospel re-shapes our why, what, and how
Creatively Responding to Issues of Race and Gender
Design Thinking: Building something people want
Loving a Broken World: Persistence amidst the struggle to create change
Silicon Valley, Technology, & the Future of Culture
The Imagination of the Entrepreneur: Where good ideas come from
A Conversation for Women in Entrepreneurship, with women who are leading the way
Ambition, Startups, & Life Management
Get Backed: Raising capital for your idea (with the authors of the bestselling Get Backed)
Developing High-Level Mentoring Relationships & Building Advocates
Calling & Passions: Choosing what to work on and finding your cherished topic
WHO IT'S FOR
Each Annual Academy class is unique and diverse. You can expect to meet men and women from schools all over the world with a wide array of passions, interests, and skill sets.
WHAT ALUMNI HAVE STUDIED
Redemptive work applies to every industry and requires a diversity of thought and skill sets. Each year we look for candidates that span this spectrum. Here are just a few of the 80+ majors that have been represented at Academy
Accounting & Finance
Architecture & Design
Health Policy & Global Health
Human and Organizational Development
& over 65 more....
WHERE ACADEMY ALUMNI HAVE COME FROM
We're thrilled to have had Alumni from some of the top schools -- both Christian and secular. If that's not you, don't let it be intimidating, we believe that top entrepreneurs & innovators can be found anywhere -- including non-traditional paths.
A SAMPLING OF THE 100+ SCHOOLS WHERE OUR ALUMNI STUDIED:
HOW to join the 2018 Academy
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Next Generation: current undergraduates or recent graduates (within the past ~5 years)
- Creatives, Innovators, & Entrepreneurs: having a startup is not a prerequisite, but a demonstrated interest in redemptive work is important
- Diverse in Thought, Background, and Interests: we encourage individuals and types of schools to apply
- Serious about Faith, Life, & Vocational Excellence
- Humble, Teachable, & Collaborative
Our hope is to make the Academy accessible to all, through an extremely high-value program and a number of available scholarships.
2018 ALL-INCLUSIVE PROGRAM FEE: $995
- includes all program materials, five days / four nights of lodging, all meals, snacks, & beverages throughout the event, and transportation to/from the airport (no need to rent a car)
- there are no application, service, or credit card fees
PAYING YOUR WAY: FUNDRAISING & SCHOLARSHIPS
We encourage candidates to be entrepreneurial to help offset program fees: we've seen success in creative crowd-funding, proposals to schools, pitches to mentors/friends, and even small businesses.
Through the generous support of donors and our Partner & Affiliate Schools, we are excited to provide thousands of dollars in scholarship to help students attend the Academy each summer. There are two main scholarships:
- NEED-BASED: apply in the early-decision round and share your financial need
- COHORT-BASED: Partner and Affiliates have specific scholarships for a cohort of their students to attend together -- applicants should select their organization from the drop down in the Scholarship section of the application.
ACCEPTANCES & RESERVING YOUR SEAT
- Early-Decision applicants (through March 1) are notified within 7 days of applying and have first priority for scholarships
- Regular-Round applicants (March 2 - April 15) are notified within 14 days of applying
- Once accepted, a 10% deposit is required to finalize your seat within 14 days; the remaining balance is charged 45 days from the event date
LOCATION & TRAVEL
Academy 2018 will be on the beautiful campus of Biola University, located just south of Los Angeles.
Accepted applicants will be sent an on-boarding kit that includes detailed information on flights, transportation, lodging, meals, and how to prepare.
Academy 2018 Start and End Time:
Begins: Monday 7/30 in the late afternoon--allowing for early flights in to LAX that day
Ends: Friday 8/3 in the early afternoon--allowing for evening flights out of LAX that evening
*specific details will be emailed to accepted applicants
Shuttles to and from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), and all other event transportation is provided so there is no need to rent a car.
Lodging and Food:
Lodging is provided for the duration of the event (Monday 7/30 - Friday 8/3). All of meals, snacks, and drinks for the week are also provided.